Ho-Ho-Kus is an affluent borough in Bergen County. The borough has an estimated population of just over 4,000 residents. It occupies almost 2 square miles, and borders Washington Township, Waldwick, Saddle River, Ridgewood, and Hillsdale. Ho-Ho-Kus is served by the NJ Transit; the station runs north-south to Hoboken Terminal. Or opt for the Short Line Bus to Port Authority in 40 minutes.
Ho-Ho-Kus is an upscale, family orientated suburb. Education is a priority and schools are top notch. This is a pedestrian-friendly neighborhood where locals can be seen walking tree-lined streets to restaurants and stores. In this tight-knit community, residents come together by volunteering in their local government, fire department, ambulance corps and schools.
Bergen County NJ
Ho-Ho-Kus has a strong community feel. The borough is a quaint and vibrant area to reside. Residents enjoy living in a small hamlet with a low crime rate, quality schools, and close proximity to New York City.
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ Commute Times
Schools in Ho-Ho-Kus NJ
For the Kids
Ho-Ho-Kus children have a lot of cool activities to participate in. For the train lover, The Train Museum is a must. Get moving at Ho-Ho-Kus Yoga, which offers kids’ yoga classes in a peaceful environment. The Worth-Pinkham Memorial Library offers story time, crafts, STEM sessions, contests, and take-home crafts. The Youth Activities Council is a local non profit organization formed in 1947 that offers programs like horseback riding, musical theater, sports, chess, sewing, songwriting, and more. Kids can also get involved with the Ho-Ho-Kus boy scout and girl scout troops.
AMENITIES & RECREATION
There are several opportunities for recreation in Ho-Ho-Kus. Head to one of the six parks in the borough for sports, exercise, and play. The 15-acre East Park includes picnic facilities, walking trails and trout fishing in a section of the Saddle River. Residents can join the Ho-Ho-Kus Woman’s Club, in which members participate in social projects, book clubs, bridge, and creative arts. The Ho-Ho-Kus Garden Club meets at the Community Church and works to improve the town gardens and raise money through an annual plant sale.
Food & Drink
Ho-Ho-Kus NJ & Surrounding Area
Top 10 Restaurants
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/fromcityt/public_html/wp-content/themes/the-suburban-lifestyle-group-child-theme/functions.php on line 503
Most of the shopping establishments in Ho-Ho-Kus are specialty store such as Rosi’s Bridal Studio located on Sheridan Avenue, a florist, some antique shops, restaurants and pharmacies. For larger shopping needs, the borough is less than two miles from hundreds of stores and several major shopping malls in neighboring Paramus.
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
Ho-Ho-Kus has a small, but lively downtown. The Sicilian Sun is an Italian restaurant that features authentic flavors from Southern Italy. It is a must stop for locals. Historic landmark the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn has charm to match its history; it has a full liquor license which is a rarity in the borough. The Hermitage is a fourteen-room Gothic Revival house museum on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places. This museum is open to the public year round.
Ho-Ho-Kus has a rich history originating back to colonial times. In 1662, Albert Zaborowsky arrived from Poland and was the first settler to own property in the borough. Ho-Ho-Kus was called a township because the territory included land north and west of present boundaries. The land that would become Ho-Ho-Kus has been known by several names over the past few centuries. Some include the borough of Orvil, Hoppertown, and New Prospect. Ho-Ho-Kus’s current name was solidified in 1908 when the borough council passed a resolution.
The Ho-Ho-Kus Inn is located in the heart of downtown. The historic building is constructed out of 1700s-vintage stone and is now a popular French restaurant. It was originally constructed in 1796 by Andrew Zabriskie as a home for his son. Over the past few centuries, the Inn has been known as the Villa Inn, the Mansion House, the Zabriskie House, the Washington Inn, Paddy Burke’s and Estephe’s Hotel. In 1941, the town bought the Inn in order to prevent the building from being torn down. This historic landmark was once a favorite dining spot of former President Nixon.